River of the West: Tales of Restoration and Reconnection
5 Rivers Odyssey
Columbia River Basin, Oregon and Washington
Are your ready for an adventure of a lifetime? The TU Costa 5 Rivers Program is seeking several exceptional students in the 5 Rivers Program to participate in this year’s 5 Rivers Odyssey. For the third year, 5 Rivers is once again partnering with the US Forest Service, Costa Sunglasses, Simms Fishing Products, The S. Kent Rockwell Foundation, Orvis, and Fishpond USA to highlight the challenges facing native fish in the Columbia River Drainage.
Although snow packs across the west are well above average this year, water remains a hot topic across much of the west. Water users of all stripes depend on the annual flow of snowmelt from the high desert to the coastal estuaries on the coast of Oregon, putting a strain on the many anadromous fish of the region whose populations have declined precipitously.
This summer, Odyssey students will explore challenges facing the Columbia River and its tributaries--unearthing, documenting, and broadcasting their findings on Trout Unlimited’s and 5 Rivers’ social media accounts.
We will be selecting four students from at least two TU Costa 5 Rivers Clubs to embark on a five week, all-expense paid fishing excursion during the months of June-July 2019. Students will “take over” Trout Unlimited’s and Trout Unlimited Costa 5 Rivers’ social media pages during the length of the trip and will be responsible for creating their own content documenting the trip. It is imperative that applicants demonstrate excellent experience in photography, videography, and/or writing. Applicants should also possess the necessary equipment (cameras, editing software, camping gear, etc.) needed for the trip. Students that are selected for the trip will be outfitted with sponsor equipment and apparel.
How to Apply:
Make a short video (1 minute or less) or submit five of your photos with some of your best fishing-related content with a sample blog (500 words or less) post describing why you care about public lands, clean water, native fish and the reasons you should be on the trip. Please send the content to the 5 Rivers Coordinator, Andrew Loffredo (Andrew.email@example.com) with the title “5 Rivers Odyssey Application 2019”. If you are missing content or do not submit the application during period outlined below, we will be unable to process your application for consideration.
Ideal candidates should:
· Possesses strong photography, videography, and/or writing skills
· Be active members in a TU Costa 5 Rivers-affiliated club
· Have a passion for public lands, native fish, and cold-water conservation
· Be passionate anglers
· Possess strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively in small groups in small quarters over a long period of time
· Be willing and able to hike into rugged and remote areas
· Be willing and able to primitive camp for extended periods for 7-10 days without access to indoor plumbing
· Be willing and able to use their own camping, camera, fishing and other equipment necessary for the trip
· Be willing and able to carry items that can weigh up to 60lbs
· Be able to swim/comfortable around the water
· Demonstrate initiative, attention to detail, ability to meet to deadlines, and complete follow through
· Budgeting skills and knowledge
· Knowledge of basic survival skills (including but not limited to how to make a fire, cook, basic navigation, etc.)
· Have no prior commitments between June 14th and July 16th
· Having access and willing to use a personal 4x4 vehicle on the trip a huge plus
We will be accepting applications from March 26th and April 7th. We will then pick up to ten of our favorite submissions for interviews the week of April 8-12th and announce our winners on April 19th.
For more information, please reach out to Andrew Loffredo, the TU Costa 5 Rivers Coordinator, at Andrew.firstname.lastname@example.org.